Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Tired, Hard Thanks

Feeling *very* exhausted, but surprisingly fulfilled tonight. After a day that started out and continued to feel out-of-whack, off-track throughout...here at the end of it, through my worn nerves, tight, achey back and shoulders, I still find myself grateful.

Grateful for a hubby who comes to my 'rescue' in the middle of his own 'day' to resuscitate a dead car battery...that God is teaching me to be flexible and not be so dependent on my time table with constant 'plan changes'...Grateful that I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy groceries at 3 different choices of places...that I can spend quality time with my Grandmother even when she's challenging (while also helping out my parents)...that I have an awesome LifeGroup that loves me (us) in our lateness, because I wanted to bless them w/some yummy homemade snacks...that our kids love us so much they don't want to go to bed and be without us.  Etcetera.

I'm reminded of a passage I've recently read from the book, Creative Counterpart by Linda Dillow, speaking of how we should respond to our circumstances:

There are difficult circumstances in the life of every person...We each have a choice. When the hard times come, we can put up our fists and fight with anger and resentment, or we can give the situation to God and trust He will cause good to come out of even a bad situation. 

...By thanking God for the unreliable and difficult circumstances, we are saying, "God, You are the blessed controller of all things.  You are sovereign and in control. I don't understand all that is happening, but I thank You and trust You to teach me what You want me to learn, and to work it all together for good."  God commands us to thank Him and is pleased when we do.  "In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."  1 Thess. 5:18

...Giving thanks is different from being thankful...When I give thanks to God for a trial or difficult circumstance, it is not a feeling of thankfulness but a decision of my will to choose to trust God and thank him in spite of my feelings.

...When Paul wrote the book of Philippians, he was in jail...He had been terribly beaten, was in jail for an undetermined amount of time, and yet as he wrote to the Philippians, the theme of joy was evident. Paul lived not in his circumstances or under his circumstances, but above them!

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation...I can do everything through him who gives me strength."  Phil. 4: 11-13 (NIV)
Just a few thoughts from a tired sojourner in a land I don't belong. But I'm sure glad He put me here...'cause I sure wouldn't wanna miss it. Worn nerves and all. ;-)

2 comments:

T. said...

Well said & nice reminder too! T. ;)

Tania said...

Hi Kristi, I read the comment you left on Day 6 of the (in)courage Christmas giveaway. Just wanted to stop in and say Hi and I'm right there with you for the answer for that day. Loved this post.