Thursday, February 2, 2012

The Practice of Rest

(If you haven't noticed, I find a lot of inspiration from Ann Voskamp over at A Holy Experience, and author of One Thousand Gifts . I often borrow pieces of her gifting and scatter them across my blog as offerings of encouragement & inspiration to others, since they're such good words! This entry is an excerpt from one of her archived posts here.)


Three Ways to Rest Today:  

1. Look Up
Step outside for a moment. (And really, it’s wonderfully true: you do have a moment.) Just look up at the sky. Stare at the blue. Breathe deep. Breathe deep again. Think about heaven. Watch the clouds. Gaze for a long, wondrous moment at the sky and think about all that is eternal and step outside of time and remember how He’s made you for eternity. Exhale.

2.  Look in
Look in. See the hurry and the angst and the worry and the tired bones. Look in — and let go. Just let go. Because do you hear Him whispering to you today: “Jesus said, “Come off by yourselves; let’s take a break and get a little rest.” (Mark 6:31).


Look in and see inside His will for you: “Now the Lord my God hath given me rest on every side.” (1Kings 5:4)


3. Look Down
Bow your head in prayer for a moment. A long moment. Whisper thanks to Jesus for His abiding presence. Feel Him take the burden off your shoulders. Feel His arms underneath carrying you. Feel Him.


Rest in Him.

 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30


Be blessed! ;-D



No comments: